Thursday, June 11, 2009

over and done with...

The surgery this morning went fantastic. Arianna was a huge trooper this morning not being able to have her milk (which if you know her, you know that is HUGE). We got to the hospital early and had to play the game of 'hurry up and wait'. I was able to take her back and help get her to sleep. I asked her to put the mask on and she did and she took a few deep breaths and was out cold, in my arms. The most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life was hand her over at that moment. She was lifeless at that point. I had major guilt. She totally trusted me, put the mask on and took big deep breaths like a big girl (which I asked her to do) and I had to leave her. I just sat there for a second and they said, 'okay, mom...it's time to go.' I kissed her little head, told her mommy loved her more than anything and walked away, fighting back my tears.
The surgery took less time than anticipated and the doctor said that it was a good thing. Her tonsils and adenoids were very large and both were infected. She woke up pretty well and we thought we were in the clear...until about 12:00.
She started throwing up at noon and wailing around. It was so scary seeing her like that. She didn't know what she wanted, she thought she wanted to eat, but every time she did she would throw up. Finally, I got her just to drink some water and eat some plain bread. That went, and stayed down. We moved on to pudding. Then ice cream -- by that time she was in heaven. She loves ice cream. By around 3:30 I finally got her to go to sleep. And, call me crazy, I asked to be released from the hospital. We are in a shared room, she just hates being there, asks to go to her bed, asks to see Neal, and I think she will do so much better at home. So, when she wakes, we're headed home. Thank you so much for all your prayers. They were felt.

PS. I have tons of pictures...I'll post them when we get home! ;)

No comments:

Favorite Things...

Up North