Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mom guilt...

anyone else ever have immense "mom guilt"? It's the feeling that you're just not doing this whole mom thing right. As many of you have gathered my schedule lately has been a bit crazy with teaching, musical etc. and I have not been able to spend a ton of time with Arianna lately. Yesterday, I dropped her off at daycare, she screamed as I left, "momma!! hugs!"...total mom guilt moment. Then, I worked all day. I picked her up, woke her up from her peaceful nap because I had to get going...mom guilt. I dropped her off with her daddy and as they were driving away, she was screaming "mommy!!" and pointing to me through the window...mom guilt. When I FINALLY got home at 6:45, she ran up to me, huge smile on her face and said "momma, boots! (which for those of you who do not know Arianna language means, Dora the Explorer)...we snuggled on the couch and she held my hand and gave me kisses. I asked her if she missed mommy today and she said yes...mom guilt. I put her to bed and she wanted me to lay by her and sing, so I did. Even though I hadn't eaten dinner yet and I was so beyond tired, I couldn't take one more event of mom guilt. As I dragged myself downstairs at 7:40pm to eat dinner, I could hear her cry out for mom and I went back to her for just one more kiss...mom guilt. Then, last night at 1am as she cried out for momma, I went in her room to lay next to her. Something I normally never would do. But, I have mom guilt. Now, it's brought to a whole new level...my breakfast this morning? A milky way dark candy bar and a diet coke. Serious mom guilt. Little one inside did enjoy all the sugar though, he's doing flips. This leads me to wondering, anyone else ever experience this mom guilt? Anyone else grateful that our children love us unconditionally (at least when they're 2) and that they have very short memories? I am.

3 comments:

The Kapenga's said...

I am convinced that God gave children the ability to give endless love unconditionally because those who love them are imperfect! Don't fret, I've been to mommy guilt land plenty of times and shed plenty of tears over it! I've learned to accept that sometimes rules need to get thrown out the window and we make our own...like staying in their room for one more book, one more song and one more moment...we'll all survive. She cries for you because she loves you so that's a good problem in my book!

Kristin said...

I have been there! They do not hold it against you. They call out to you because they love you. You job is to make sure she is safe and loved (which she is with Jason and with daycare). You are doing a good job, just keep loving her (them)!

laurabeth said...

Oh yes...the wonderful mom's guilt. As if we don't have enough to do, we also have to deal with that too?!? I usually have it while I'm trying to fall asleep at night and my mind is racing over the day, thinking of all the things I could have done better. Thankfully, our kids love us despite our imperfections.

Favorite Things...

Up North